A questions that keeps coming up about Tax Identifications Numbers  (TIN’s)  is what are to possible types of numbers that a company couls use for their official TIN?  The following answer and many others about TIN issues can be found at:  http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=98145,00.html

A TIN is one of the following four numbers.

  1. A Social Security Number (SSN)
  2. An Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  3. An IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Aliens who do not have an SSN, and are not eligible to get one should get an ITIN. Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is used to apply for an ITIN.
  4. An Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN). An ATIN is a temporary tax identification number issued for a child born in the U.S. An ATIN is used as an identifying number is the child is not eligible for an SSN.